Sunday, August 29, 2010

ATHLETE OF THE MONTH - AUG: KAREN EDENFIELD

CrossFit JAX congratulates Karen Edenfield for being the Athlete Of The Month this August 2010. Karen is one of the most consistent and dedicated members at the box. She is also one half of the CFJAX Edenfield Team, with her husband Harry being our 'resident expert' on everything having to do with the Concept 2 Rower. Together, they are one hell of a duo (even though they have never worked out together at the same time...but that's a different story!). A tough as nails kind of gal with always an excellent & positive attitude when she steps foot in the box, Karen is well deserving to be recognized as our Athlete Of The Month. We asked Karen a few questions about her training at CFJAX, from the first day she came in until her most recent workout and this is what she had to say:

"I started at CFJAX at the beginning of the year but didn't get serious until around mid-February which is when I ran the Donna Deegan Breast Cancer half marathon.

My first WOD consisted of sit ups, air squats and push ups for max effort in 2mins repeated for 3 rounds...or something like that. I was happy they were movements I could perform which gave me confidence.

I've ran a few races around town, various 5K/15K/half marathons for many years and I've competed in sprint & Olympic distance triathlons as well. As a kid, I competed in waterskiing (slalom, tricks & jumps) and have won on the National level. I pretty much trained myself in those days, but with family/work obligations my training frequency would fall off. CrossFit meets my need for intense training, as well as fulfilling my competitive desire to improve on my PR's. I go on certain days and times to the box and everyone in my family knows that its my outlet and release. I go, get it done and feel better about life. Sooo, if I'm happy then everyone in the family is happy!

My favorite lift is thrusters! Strange, I know. I also like deadlifts partly because it's one of my strongest lifts. But now all these young girls are passing me by! But I enjoy learning and improving my technique on all of them. I struggle with the snatch, but I will get it!

I really enjoy the hero WOD, Murph (without the vest) and I like Fight Gone Bad too. My strength would have to be endurance. I also enjoy the rower. You would think I would be better at rowing, considering who I'm married to, but I do not take to private coaching/critique at home very calmly...plus, rowing is harder when your short!

The last thing I want to see on a WOD, would be a long row, mainly because I have to learn how to pace myself. I can't do rope climbs or muscle ups either.

I get 'that feeling' when I look on the website each day for the WOD! I get fired up if it's a workout I've done before. It makes me look up my previous times/scores to try and beat them. But after several months of training I am no longer nervous. I know I can finish the workout even if I have to scale it (and I hate to scale it!). But I still get 'that feeling' when I walk from the church parking lot to the doors of CFJAX.

I participated in the recent Zoner's Challenge so I'm anxious to see the impact it will have. We usually eat fairly healthy but we do partake in an adult beverage every now and again.

Zone is more my style. Our household has a problem with sweets. The zone really has curbed my sweet cravings. I am never hungry when I'm on the zone.

I am in awe of everyone that walks through the doors at the box, especially the women! Being one of the older members I am just happy to finish the workouts. But I am very competitive and I do like comparing my times/scores to the other ladies. I only wish I had started CrossFit when I was younger. I encourage everyone to give it a try...I even wish my soon-to-be 13 year old daughter to join!

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration Karen! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete